- God cleans His vine so that it will bear more fruit (v.1-3).
- What is the significance of using the same word for ‘cleaning’ and for ‘pruning?’
- When He cleans the branches, what is the vine-keeper’s purpose?
- The purpose and survival of every branch has to do with abiding in Jesus (v.4).
- How does our survival parallel that of a branch on the vine?
- How does our purpose as well as God’s parallel that of a branch on the vine?
- What will help you to abide closer to the true Vine?
- The remaining in Christ works both ways (v.4-5).
- Why would Jesus use the word for ‘abide’/’remain’ eight times in these 8 verses?
- What makes it possible for us to remain in Jesus?
- What makes it possible for Jesus to remain in us?
- When we choose not to remain in Christ, our lives are worthless (v.6).
- What happens to your life when you don’t willfully choose to remain in Jesus?
- Why do we want to prevent that from happening?
- Remaining in Christ opens doors for prayer and for outreach (v.7-8).
- How does our mutual remaining in Christ affect prayer?
- How does our mutual remaining in Christ glorify God?
Call to Action: To diligently strive to live in Christ who lives in us.